[Advaita-l] Eka jiva vada and nana jiva vada.

Venkatesh Murthy vmurthy36 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 15 10:25:44 CDT 2013

Namaste

Kindly read the Gaudapada Karika Vaitathya Prakarana 9-10 again and again.
In a dream you are walking on a road and thinking of 100 Kg gold. You meet
a person on the road and say Namaste to him. Then you wake up. You will
conclude both the Gold and the person are dream objects. Both are unreal.
You cannot say imagined Gold is unreal but the seen person is real. Same
way in waking Avastha also when you imagine something like 100 Kg Gold it
is unreal. When you meet a friend in waking also, he is not real. Like this
all persons are unreal. Imagined and seen objects in waking and dream both
are unreal.

What Nana Jeevas you see in Vyavahara are unreal because they are like
dream objects. The waking is also a dream. The dreamer is the only One
Jeeva. Eka Jeeva Vada is only for Vyavaharic level. You have to think
Vyavaharically like this is all my dream and I have created the Universe.
The Universe is there because I see it. This Drishti Srishti Vada. I see
the Universe because it is existing. This is Srishti Drishti Vada. This is
a road to misery and bondage. Drishti Srishti Vada and Eka Jeeva Vada are
the best methods of Vedanta. Gaudapada is saying this.

On Mon, Apr 15, 2013 at 12:44 PM, Srikanta Narayanaswami <
srikanta.narayanaswami at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Namaste
>
> Where Adi Sankara has said we have to accept Nana Jeeva Vada and move to
> Eka Atma Vada? It is not necessary to believe there are other Jeevas and
> they are also trying for liberation. Liberation is not a competition for
> Nana Jeevas like a running race. Who will get it first?
>
> Gaudapada Karika Vaitathya Prakarana -
>
> 9—10 In dreams, what is imagined within the mind is illusory and what is
> cognized outside by the mind, real; but truly, both are known to be unreal.
> Similarly, in the waking state, what is imagined within by the mind is
> illusory and what is cognized outside by the mind, real; but both should be
> held, on rational grounds, to be unreal.
>
> In waking we think there are many people around us because they are
> outside. But Gaudapada has said everything in waking inside the mind and
> outside the mind is unreal like dream objects. He did not say seen people
> in waking are Jeevas like you. In waking if I imagine a hare horns in my
> mind I can say it is not real. In waking if I look at any object like
> chair, table, person or anything they are also not real. There is no
> difference between imagined things and seen things. Both are unreal.

> In the vyavaharika level we see nana-jivas.Then can we say that there is
> only Eka jiva?To say that there must be a transcendence to that dimension
> to see the Eka jiva.That is why Sri.Shankara,at the vyavaharika
> level,though there are nana jivas,there is only Eka atma.Hence to say there
> is Eka jiva is erroneous and misleading.
> N.Srikanta.

-Venkatesh