[Advaita-l] agnimukha prayOga - a query

Anand Hudli anandhudli at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 25 00:17:00 CDT 2013

For an example of actions done without mantras, please also see Apastamba
Grihya sUtra 1.1.19 (paTala 1, khaNDa 1, sUtra 19):
pavitrayoH saMskAraH AyAmataH parImANaM prokShaNii saMskAraH
pAtraprokShaNam iti darshapUrNamAsavat tUShNiim||

the saMskAra of two pavitras, measuring of length, prokShaNii saMskAra,
pAtrprokShaNam have to be done silently (without mantras) as in the case of
the darsha-pUrNamAsa sacrifice. I have heard Ritviks actually saying the
kriyA vAkyas themselves while doing the actions. I am not exactly sure if
this is correct, but such verbalization could just serve as a reminder of
the immediate action to be performed.

There is an excellent Kannada translation of Apastamba Grihya sutras with
commentary by Vidwan Sheshachala Sharma. Please contact the publishers
Adhyatma Prachara Samiti (+91 80 2672-0327, +91 80 2674 2853) or Shri
Sharada Vidya Pratishthana (+91 80 2650 7160). Or, you can also inquire at
Vedanta Book House.

Anand