[Advaita-l] concluding sloka of siddhAnta bindu

Venkata sriram P venkatasriramp at yahoo.in
Tue Apr 30 07:12:46 CDT 2013

Namaste,

In the concluding verse of “siddhAnta bindu”, Sri Madhusudana Saraswati says that:

na staumi taM vyAsaM ashESamarthaM
samyak na sUtrairapi yO babandha
vina(a)pitaiH saMgrathitAkhilArthaM
taM shankaraM naumi surEshwaraM cha

The rough translation :

Sri Veda Vyasa didn’t frame the essence of the vEdAnta while writing brahmasUtrAs.
Hence, I would not extol him.  But, so be it ! Acharya Sankara has blessed us with His
prasthAna-traya bhASya and Sureshwara blessed us with beautiful vArtikA.

So, I would extol Acharya Sankara and Sureshwara for bestowing us the essence of
vEdAnta in the form of advaita and vArtika and not vEda vyAsa.

Is it a nindA stuti directed towards vEda vyAsa that the brahmasUtrAs, infact,
point towards advaita siddhAnta ?

In what way we should under the above sloka?

regs,
sriram