[Advaita-l] Eternal Loka

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Sat Aug 10 21:27:10 CDT 2013

On Sat, Aug 10, 2013 at 9:52 PM, Rajaram Venkataramani <
rajaramvenk at gmail.com> wrote:

>  Where does Appayya Dikshitar say that this Vaikuntha or Vishnu is
> non-eternal? If Ishwara is a concept, so are all vyavahara satyams.

This must be in reference to the Brahma sutra of the fourth chapter.  4.4.5
gives Jaimini's view which appears to be alluded to by Appayya Dikshitar.
4.4.6 gives the view of auDulomi that opposes Jaimini's. In 4.4.7
bAdarAyaNa the author of the brahma sutras settles the issue by accepting
both Jaimini's and auDulomi's views as admissible from the vyavaharika and
pAramarthika viewpoints.  Pl. see the sha
nkara bhashyam for this.

Appayya Dikshita in his nayamanjari (the fourth metrical work delineating
the various adhikaraNa-s of the brahma sutras from the four schools' points
of view: dvaita, VA, shivaVA and Advaita, condenses the above adhikaraNa
called 'brAhmAdhikaraNam' in two simple verses, as stated by me above.
Thus the 'assertion' by Dikshitar is only the alluding to the Jaimini's
(vyAvahArika) view and NOT the paramarthika vedantic position.   If you
recall, during our joint session with Sri Mani Dravid SastriNaH on skype
you raised this topic and he referred to this adhikaraNam of the BSB.

vs