[Advaita-l] Need information on learning Vedas online

Dr D Bharadwaj dr.d.bharadwaj at gmail.com
Wed Aug 21 21:31:39 CDT 2013

I agree with you Sri Vidyasankar, that the whole Samskrita Bharathi
initiative is in general ok.

I do not ask for its ban. I do not see any need to bridle them either. In
fact, as I had said, I am one of its patrons. I defend (and defended) the
Samskrita Bharati on many other counts too. There is no case for crying
foul here.

Nothing much to worry, either, imo. Anyway, ultimately, no collective
effort aimed at any ' collective reforms' (not just of a language but may
be of any deep aspect of a hoary culture) will succeed as much in pushing
the collectivity in the direction of its (the effort's) thrust, as in
bringing about *something else*, ( guided to the last detail beautifully by
unstoppable, invincible Will of the ISvara) which is the resultant of the
'qualified absorption' of the impact of the big effort by the whole.

Now, in its present first stage, Samskrita bharati has a set strong, highly
dedicated, self-less volunteers personally motivated by Sri Krishna Sastry
himself. This is the necessary condition of any reformist organization to
attain a fair amount of success. This is not sufficient. There is a
bottleneck ahead. As the time passes, if the original founder's spirit
survives in the organization to a reasonable level, even when, inevitably,
the turn of second tier (not directly trained by the spirited founder)
comes to be helm of the day to day affairs, it is then that the spirit
begins to catch on, making a bit of impact generally in the collective
unit...

The kind of (actual quality of) the damage that could happen if Samskrita
Bharati succeeds (with the collectivity in its efforts to make sanskrit as
sarala as it intends) can be understood only by those that comprehensively
understood the pure, pristine, classical samskritam as bhAShA, not of a
nation alone, but of a unfathomably deep, hoary culture and that it is the
live, responsible carrier of the culture. Such people are very few.

I will give an example here. Samskrita Bharati starts the course with
samskritiszation of the western way of saying one's name.

We are taught to say, in samskritam, 'my name is so-and-so'.
But here, in this country, for ages, we say 'I am called so-and-so'. Even
today I know some very cultured people consciously maintaining the practice
of saying 'I am called...'.

Now, what is the big difference for a casual observer?? None. But, if we
see with a discerning eye, there is a whole lot of the Indian Cultures's
profound perception of 'name'   packed into this Indian speech form. We
never come across in any Indian Work of worth and true value in Samskrit,
anybody saying their name in a the shallow, 'mama nama so-and-so' form.

This is just one example...there are many....

Now, there is nothing grammatically wrong in the 'mama nama so-and-so' form
(or with the other such forms promoted by SB). But now by popularizing
these western forms, we are unintentionally, unknowingly, callously pumping
a different 'culture' into the a unique BhAShA that is the very carrier,
the (as of now) only live carrier of our great culture.

IMO, the samskrita bhashaa, which is pure and pristine till now,
fortunately not 'popular',  not distorted by the trampling masses of the
present passing unfortunate culture, not yet 'massified' (to use Toffler's
terminology), is still the carrier of, replete with, the unique richness,
profundity, greatness and truth of the original culture of this ArSha
bhUmi. Pure pristine saMskRta bhAShA is a source of the Truth. A boon for
the earnest seeker. Its pristine purity is more important to preserves than
most can comprehend.

If I may be forgiven for talking about myself here, I would like to add
that I gained real time in finding what I need to, for my life's
saarthakata, after I learnt how to 'understand' the RShi hRdayam, the true
way to approach the ArSha Texts, by understanding the right way, SaMskRtam
as a bhAShA .

The fall-out of the zealous enthusiasm of the Samsktita Bharati, which I
had termed (perhaps not to the liking of a few here) as 'collateral damage'
and which I chose to perceive as 'heavy', is just an elaboration only of my
opinion. is just a dispassionate personal observation mine, of a situation
as I happened to see. There is cause no for worry, imho. The impact of this
movement also will of course be absorbed with aplomb by the wide, vast,
profound, strong, resilient, dynamic, live, deathless Indian Spirit.

ISvararpaNamastu

*శ్రీరమణార్పణమస్తు*

Dr. D. Bharadwaj
http://drdbharadwaj.blogspot.in