[Advaita-l] Need information on learning Vedas online

Vidyasankar Sundaresan svidyasankar at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 23 11:25:59 CDT 2013

> Comparing with Sanskrit Bharati the Maths are doing a poor job. The Maths
> have very great financial strength but not Sanskrit Bharati. But Sanskrit
> Bharati is doing better job. If you say Maths are also doing something I
> will say it is not enough. With the financial strength they can do wonders
> in Sanskrit and Veda learning but unfortunately they are not doing it. It
> is the foremost duty of the Maths to propagate Vaidika and Sanskrit
> learning. They are failing in it. This is a sad situation.

You speak as if you are privy to the income-expenditure statements of both
Samskrita Bharati and the Sringeri Matha! And you are comparing apples and
oranges, as they say. Samskrita Bharati has a narrowly defined focus, but
Sringeri Matha has to manage a 1000 other things at the same time. And the
models of leadership and activity are quite different. As they should be.

Throwing money at a problem is not a way to bring long-lasting change. People
with dedication are required. It is the foremost duty of the Mathas to preserve
the path of nivRtti dharma and saMnyAsa, at least in the advaita tradition. It
has never been in their charter historically to take on an activist kind of role that
you and many other people want them to do today.

It really is the duty of gRhastha-s like you and me, to preserve and propagate
dharma and to support the institutions of nivRtti dharma. The real sad situation
is that we don't do all that we need to do, in our individual capacities. It is easier
for us to sit in our armchairs and project our own failures onto others.

> The Kanchi Math is better than Sringeri because it has a lot of Veda
> Pathashalas. Even many Vaidika Brahmins from Karnataka are going to Kanchi
> for Veda studies. This is showing Sringeri is not doing much. The Sringeri
> Swamiji is not even interested in visiting many places in Karnataka. People
> there are calling him but he is not interested. He is going to many places
> in TN and Andhra. This is very strange. Swamijis should have National and
> International vision and propagate our Dharma and culture. Otherwise our
> Dharma and culture will become weak.

Can you keep personal prejudices and comments out of this forum? You are not
even partially correct on the opinions that you present as if they are facts. You
talk of a national and international vision, and in the same breath, a different
complaint is specific to Karnataka, compared to Andhra and Tamil Nadu! In the
larger picture, for Sringeri, it is not a question of competition with any other
institution.  And to my knowledge, Sringeri Matha has never appointed itself
as the sole authority over dharma and culture.

Vidyasankar