[Advaita-l] a sloka from yOga vAshiSTa...need reference & meaning

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Mon Dec 2 04:14:46 CST 2013

On Sun, Dec 1, 2013 at 11:00 PM, V Subrahmanian <v.subrahmanian at gmail.com>wrote:

> Dear Sriram ji,
>
> A friend provided the reference, along with the verse and a TIkA which I
> am copying here:
>

> Upashama Prakarana, Ch. 24, verse 71

It appears that the image is not showing correctly in the mail.  I have
uploaded the same in this URL:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/uhfzhkw0b8z92db/YogaVasishtha-5-24-71.pdf

Here is the translation of the commentary provided in the image:

   1. Earn wealth (money) by such means as not contradicted by the
   practice/tradition prevailing in that place where one lives.
   2. Without spending that money for the enjoyment of lowly pleasures [The
   word 'alpavigarhaNena' of the verse is explained as: alpasya tucchatarasya
   bhogasya vigarhaNena [by censuring the lowly, worthless, pleasures.]
   3. Serve the Knowers of Brahman by providing them food, clothing,
   gifts/honoring etc.
   4. In the reading 'shAstrapUrvakam' (instead of mAnapUrvakam in the
   verse) , the meaning would be: by approaching such Knowers in the
   scripture-prescribed manner: tadvijnAnArtham sa gurumEvAbhigacchEt
   samitpANiH shrotriyam brahmaniShTham (munDakopanishat) - approach a Knower
   who is a learned one as well as one established in Brahman knowledge, with
   samit (sacrificial faggots) in hand, and seek the liberating knowledge from
   him.
   5. That is the sat-sanga that you will acquire.  From such company of
   the Knower give up attachment and aversion towards objects of senses. By
   that the four-fold requirements of viveka, etc. will flourish in the
   enquiry in to the true nature of Brahman culminating in the direct
   realization of the Self just as one would realize the presence of the
   golden necklace that has all along been there on the person but mistaken to
   have been lost.

regards

subrahmanian.v