[Advaita-l] Real vs. Unreal

Vidyasankar Sundaresan svidyasankar at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 12 00:05:51 CST 2013

> H S CHANDRAMOULI
>
> Dear all,
>
> Let me add my 2 cents views on the subject of Mithya which i understand fro
> VMjis mail has been discussed elaborately earlier.
>
> Mithya has no doubt many definitions like nonindependant, nonpermanent etc.
> But i think for understanding its implications it is useful to understand
> it as a mixture of real ( that is vastu ) and unreal ( that is a-vastu )
> . When we see a pot we say the "pot is".When we see a cloth we say " cloth
> is ". Similarly " creation is ".

Yes, this mixture of the really real and the other is indeed the crucial meaning
of mithyAtva. The taittirIya upanishad says, "satyaM ca anRtaM ca satyam
abhavat. yad idaM kiM ca." Accordingly, Sankara bhagavatpAda uses the term
"satyAnRte maithunIkRtya" in the sUtrabhAshya. What SAstra helps us do is to
separate out the satya from the anRta that come to us in a mixed way in all
our sensory experiences.

Best regards,

Vidyasankar