[Advaita-l] Real vs. Unreal

H S Chandramouli hschandramouli at gmail.com
Thu Dec 12 02:42:58 CST 2013

Dear Rajaramji,

You say My existence is selfevident to me. We all know " I exist". But can
you for sure identify that " I ". Have you ever tried out. Does the " I "
include this body/mind/intellect. If not then what else is it. If yes how
does the same " i " experience the dream world as these very same
body/mind/intellect do not exist in the dream world ( in the sense we are
not aware of them during dream ) . Can " I " exist without any body? If yes
what does it consist of then. If no how does the vey same I "  have the
wonderful experience of pure happiness while we were in deep sleep. Surely
we dont have the feeling of a different " I " as experiencing it. Nor do we
have a feeling of discontinuity in our existence for that period. The
correct position is " I " that our awareness of " I " consists of two parts
the real and the unreal. The self evident part which normally recognize and
identify with body etc is the visheshana part ( unreal part ) . We never
really recognize the Swarupa ( Real part ) in its true aspect. That is what
the Shastras do. You are not correct in assuming that only the future
effect of dharma/adharma are not known for which alone we need the
shastras. More importantly one would try and avoid getting into a position
where one should be constantly worried about these effects, get Liberated
from their hold. That is the Goal of all Shastras. In fact even the portion
detailing the effects of dharma/adharma are only meant to lead one to this
Liberation, by performing them without hankering after the effects which
enables him to undertake the further sadhanas for getting Liberated.

For the sake of brevity, i will stop with this. I presume this clarifies
the more important aspect of your doubt.

Regards