[Advaita-l] Real vs. Unreal

Nithin Sridhar sridhar.nithin at gmail.com
Sat Dec 14 07:58:18 CST 2013

One more example can be, Just as a Ocean manifests various waves on the
surface. if we consider Waves as a distinct entity from Ocean existing on
its own, this is ajnana. If we understand Waves are not only inseperable
but are also non-different from ocean, that is Jnana. By attaining Jnana,
the waves do not cease to exist, but the notion of waves as being separate
entity than ocean ceases to exist and ocean alone is perceived.

Similarly, when world of names and forms are considered as distinct and
independent entities existing separate from Brahman- It is Ajnana. With,
the destruction of ajnana, the notion that names and forms are distinct
from Brahman is destroyed and Brahman alone is perceived.

Hence, Ramana Maharshi says- in Vyavaharika we perceive the Self which is
witness and the objects, mind, senses which are Non-Self. When one goes
beyond the Non-Self and attains the Self, then not only the non-Self, but
even the notion of Witness is destroyed.

-Nithin