[Advaita-l] Real vs. Unreal

H S Chandramouli hschandramouli at gmail.com
Sun Dec 15 23:42:54 CST 2013

H S CHANDRAMOULI

Dear Sri RVji,

Your first sentence must be corrected as follows.

< As per advaita, the creation exists as real only for the ignorant > . The
bhashyam for  BG 2.16 means the same. This is just the issue which needs
resolution in this thread. I refer you to mandukya ( with karika ) wher an
entire chapter ( chapter 2 ) " vaitathya prakarana " is devoted to this
question. This is an elaboration of the word " prapanchopashamam " ( verse
7 in the upanishad ) which means " without creation ". This verse is a
description of Turiyam/Brahman/Atman/Consciousness. The word prior to this
is " Ekatmapratyayasarah". This means this Turiyam can be realized only as
theonly common feature available  in all the three earlier states
(waking/dream/deep sleep ) . The 2nd chapter explains how creation takes
place in the Turiyam which is itself bereft of creation. This process of
creation is explained from verse 13 onwards after a discussion of how dream
and waking states are essentially same in terms of their reality. Since
this chapter can be considered as a detailed explanation of verse 2.16 of
BG may i request you to just glance through this at least ( unless you have
already gone through it ) and reassure for yourself whether  your current
understanding still holds good.

Regarding your assertion < If you say that the world exists, it can never
become nonexistent, even after mukti ( jivan or videha ) > . You are
absolutely right. That in fact is the definition for Real ( Sat ) in
advaita. That is why Brahman/Atma Turiyam/Consciousness is claimed to be
the ONLY real thing ( pardon me for using the word loosely ) . Having said
this as i mentioned above Chapter 2 of Mandukya Karika explains how
creation is to be treated without violating this statement.

I hope I have answered your points. ( though i have referred to mandukya
without elaborating it here itself, but that would be making this mail too
long for a patient reding and also because it is readily available for
access ). Do let us know your response.

Regards