[Advaita-l] 24 Gurus of Bhagavan Dattatreya - III

Jaldhar H. Vyas jaldhar at braincells.com
Mon Dec 23 01:10:42 CST 2013

On Sat, 21 Dec 2013, Nithin Sridhar wrote:

> Please also provide the chapter in which it occurs so that I may pursue
> study in it.

I mentioned it in my first post: 11th skandha, adhyayas 7-9.

On Sat, 21 Dec 2013, Nithin Sridhar wrote:

> You stay in Gujarat right?. Have you visited Girnar? Girnar is eternal
> abode of Dattatreya. Even today there are many Sadhaks, Aghoris etc
> living there doing Sadhana.

I've been to that area.  In puranas it is known as vastrapatha kShetra and
its mahatmya is in the Skanda Purana.  There are many ancient tirths and
historical monuments (such as shilalekhas of Ashoka, Skandagupta,
Rudradaman of the kshatrapa dynasty etc.)  You are right that many
sannyasis are found there.  Some are residents others are parivrajakas
(wanderers) for whom this is a regular stop on a great pradakshina of
Bharat.  From Mt. Abu (Arbudachala) they proceed through there on the way
to Dwaraka/Somanath.