[Advaita-l] Advaita and Bauddha Dharma

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Thu Feb 28 04:43:44 CST 2013

2013/2/27 Venkatesh Murthy <vmurthy36 at gmail.com>

> Namaste
>

> http://ia600703.us.archive.org/31/items/Sanskrit_biographies_of_Indian_saints_and_heroes/VedamurtiSriramakrishna-SwamiApoorvanandaSktBiography1963.pdf
>
> On page 18.
>
> स्वामिना विवेकानन्देन प्रोक्तम् -
> द्वैतम् विशिष्टाद्वैतम् अद्वैतम् चेति त्र्यमेव वेदान्तधर्मस्य स्तररूपं
> विभिन्नभूमिकास्वरूपं वा। सांसारिकाः सर्वेऽपि धर्मा वेदान्तधर्मस्य
> तत्त्रितयस्तरान्तर्गता: सन्ति । अर्थात् सर्वेऽपि ते वेदान्त्धर्मस्य
> विशिष्टाः शाखाः भवन्ति । द्वैतवाद एव यूरोपीय सेमिटिकजातीनां भाव
> आभ्यन्तरिकः ख्रैस्तेस्लामधर्मस्वरूपेण परिणतः । वेदान्तस्याद्वैतवादो
> योगानुभूतिरूपेण बौद्धधर्मनामतः  अभिहितः ।
>
> I do not understand this. Why Swami Vivekananda is saying Bauddha Dharma
> is coming by Yoganubhuti  from Vedanta Advaita Vada? Kindly explain.

I think Swamiji is saying that the other popular world
religion-philosophies have their basis in the Indian Vedic system.  While
saying that, he states that the 'bauddha' dharma's denying the vyavaharika
prapancha (that there is no dvaita) has its parallel in the Advaita
doctrine.  An aspirant of bauddha system will come to realize this through
yogic experience.

I am reminded of a somewhat similar statement in the Kannada book 'mata
traya sameekShA' authored by the noted Madhwa scholar Dr.A.V.Nagasampige.
In this book, under 'Advaita', the author devotes a section to establish
that Advaita Vedanta is very different from buddhism.  He concludes by
saying: 'since the Bauddhas have formulated their system based on the
nirvishesha Brahman of the Upanishads, they are really 'pracchanna
vaidika-s'.

regards
subrahmanian.v