[Advaita-l] akhaNDAkAra vritti

kuntimaddi sadananda kuntimaddisada at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 14 07:28:28 CST 2013

Shreeman - PraNAms - I
will provide a simple explanation as I understand.
When
I look at an object in the room, I see currently only object without
recognizing it is the light that is getting reflected by the object that is
forming an image which encoded into a vRitti or thought in the mind. If I shift
my attention to the light and not the object that is reflecting the light, then
I have discarded the object - neti -neti - but ascertained that because of
which the object is seen.
The
same process occurs in the vision of the thought in the mind - when the object
vRitti is formed, the existence of the object out there is as though
transferred to the existence of the vRitti in the mind. The all-pervading light
of consciousness first reflected by the mind (chidaabhaasa) and that reflected
light of consciousness falls on the vRitti gets reflected back to the mind -
for knowledge to take place. (For Ref. See elaborate discussion of peceptuality
condition as discussed in Vedanta ParibhaaSha in advaitaformum.org.) This is
stated as the existence of the object now in the form of vRitti combines with
the consciousness that I am for me to be conscious of the existence of the
thought and thus the object. What is seen is actually the reflected light of
consciousness - just as what is seen when I see object is nothing but the
reflected light from the object. The analogy is exact. Hence Kena Up. says -
pratibodha viditam matam - The consciousness is involved in every knowledge.
The problem is we are paying the attention to the object (or vRitti) that is
reflected and not to the light of consciousness that is getting reflected.
Atma
Jnaanam therefore involves constant shift in attention from the object or the
thought that is reflecting but to the light of consciousness that is getting
reflected. Vedanta says -as a pramANa - you are that light of consciousness
that is first reflected by the mind as chidaabhaasa and then by the vRitti.
This constant awareness of this fact - as I am that - in every objective
knowledge - is akhandaakaara vRitti- even though the vRittis of the objects are
khandam or broken there is continuous flow of thoughts and there continuous
reflection of the light of consciousness.
Another
important point to note is without object reflecting; the presence of light
cannot be RECOGNIZED. Yet understanding is required to give the object (vRitti)
that is reflecting and pay attention to the light of consciousness that is
getting reflected constantly. Hence it is not chitta vRitti nirodha or
controlling or eliminating the thoughts in the mind but eliminating our
attention to the forms and thus to the names or contents of the thoughts and
concentrate on the light of consciousness that is getting reflected. This
giving up our attention to the thought content is vairaagya. Any other
vairaagya is only for preparation for this. 'tyaagenaike amRitatvamaanasuH'. yat
chashuShaa napasyati - however - yena chakshuumsi pasyati -tat eva brahma tvam
viddhi. That which eyes cannot see but because of which eyes can see.- that
which mind cannot think - but because of which the mind can think - That you
are.
Nidhidhyaasana is
required to constantly shift minds attention to the light of consciousness that
is getting first reflected by the mind and later by the thought. Mind is
required for paying attention to this light of consciousness that is getting
reflected first as chidaabhaasa and subsequently by the knowledge of the
thoughts. This constant shift in attention is hindered by our lingering
attachments. The previous discussions on the stages of jnaani depends on how
much one is detached from the attachments even though one understands (or has Jnaanam)
that I am not object but I am the light of consciousness that is getting
reflected- the jnaana niShTaa is not there due to pratibandhas or obstacles -
the major obstacles being our lingering attachments - sometimes even to the
shaastras or bhaashyaas.
Some of these are discussed by Shree Sureswara in NaiSkarmya
siddhi in the 3rd Ch.
Hope this helps.
Hari Om!
Sada