[Advaita-l] Shankara and Kriya Yoga

rajaramvenk at gmail.com rajaramvenk at gmail.com
Thu Jun 6 12:07:08 CDT 2013

Shruti is not apaurusheya because its author has been forgotten. It is apaurusheya because it has always been known to be without author and opposing arguments have been refuted by mimamsakas and vedantins to this day. If there is no apaurusheya shruti, then how can one - for the first time - find out that there will be result for yajna in a future birth or there will no rebirth? These are unseen results and has to be learnt from another who should learn from yet another and so on.

The source of knowledge about what constitutes shruti is sampradaya. Controversy has to be resolved through evaluation of supporting arguments. Even if we can't resolve, we can accept as shruti what is common to all. A statement - so called shruti or otherwise - should not contradict what is common shruti pramana to all.

If I told you I taught Sankara logic, will you accept?  You will ask for evidence because you are not a gullible person. Basically, you will ask "When?". If I said 1200 years ago, you will say Sankara lived 2500 years ago or vice-versa. You will ask "What else I remember from that time period?" And verify the facts against what is known through historical studies. Have the followers of Babaji done such critical study?  On the contrary, we see sringeri acharya enquiring in to the truth of his own experience critically. If we don't do that we will be left with no option but to blindly accept any statement by any one as true and beyond question. We know that it is not the case and hence the need for discrimination between truth and delusion.