[Advaita-l] Re The stance of the upadeshasaahasrii on Ignorance, Deep Sleep

subhanu saxena subhanu at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 6 15:06:26 CDT 2013

Karthik wrote:

The upadeshasaahasrii 1.14.19:

AtmA hyAtmiiya ityeSha bhAvo.avidyAprakalpitaH .
Atmaikatve hyasau nAsti bIjAbhAve kutaH phalam

 "HOW CAN THERE BE A FRUIT WITH AN UNREAL (abhAva) SEED (bIja)?"

Hi Kartik 20 push ups for your translation:  it simply translates as "in the absence of a seed from where is the fruit? " In other words without the cause (avidya, our wrong notion) where is the effect (me and mine) when the unity of atman is established? See BUBV 2.3.456 avidyAyAH svabhAvo'yam yadasat karaNam mriSA. The nature of ignorance is that it falsely creates that which does not exist.

Just following this chain it struck me it would be great to have a mini advaita-l goshthi as live discourse is a much more conducive way of atma vichara, plus more fun to meet and network with fellow sadhakas. I am now settled into my new home in Mumbai and would be happy to host a meet of folks in case people have plans to come through any time. Do let me know

Subhanu