[Advaita-l] Paroksha to Aparoksha

Bhaskar YR bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com
Tue Jun 18 07:10:34 CDT 2013

praNAms Sri Subbu prabhuji
Hare Krishna

Sri Vidyaranya (I think) has said in the Panchadashi that certain things
like the presence of jnAna, ajnAna, hunger, thirst, joy, sorrow in oneself
are all directly known (aparokSha) to oneself (and not to others).

>  Yes, this reminds me shankara bhAshya vAkya taThA sarvOpyanyO
vyavahAraH Atmana eva vidushaH..But it is not like in sAkshi bhAva like I
am witness and witnessing this world objects apart from me.  His
realization is that ahamannaM, ahamannAdaH, ahaM shlOkakrut etc. i.e.
sarvAtmabhAva.

For others it is only inferentially (parokSha) known.

>  Yes, that is why jnAni's socalled vyavahAra, his attachment, his
suffering etc.  is from the drushti of avidyAvanta.  We only infer that
jnAni has the deha, he has the bedha buddhi, resultant kAma krOdha etc.
and we just do the katrutva ArOpa on jnAni as we cannot think beyond the
BMI complex.  But in reality he is akatru, abhOktru only and that is what
shankara too says in geeta bhAshya 4.22.

Hari Hari Hari Bol!!!
bhaskar