[Advaita-l] Eka jiva vada and nanajiva vada.

Venkatesh Murthy vmurthy36 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 20 06:04:50 CDT 2013

Namaste
On Wed, Mar 20, 2013 at 11:53 AM, vinayaka ns <brahmavadin at gmail.com> wrote:
> Actually the question in the ekajIvavAda is -  *In the waking state* is
> there only one jIva and are the other jIvAs are just bodies moving around?
> While dealing with this we have to look at it from the perspective waking
> state alone because from the pAramArthik standpoint we can very well say
> that all are nothing but vibrations of the mind/imagination of the mind. If
> these two perspectives gets mixed up then there will problems.

In the Vyavahara itself we have to say there is one Jeeva. There are
no others. In Svapna Avastha you are seeing dream persons and other
things. In Jagrat Avastha also you are seeing a dream. In Svapna the
persons are dream persons. In Jagrat also all persons are dream
persons. There is no difference. You have to think this. I am Alone
and I only am real. All these people are not real. They are in my
dream only.

In Nana Jeeva Vada it is very complicated. What is the proof all these
people are real? Why I should think they are real like me? The Nana
Jeeva Vada cannot give answers to the questions.

In Paramartha there is only Brahma. Why we should think in Vyavahara
there are many Jeevas? It is meaningless.

> The shruti and bhyAshas do accept the multiplicity of jIvas in samsAra from
> the perspective of different upAdhis. The following quote from katha and
> muNdaka bhAshya can be quoted in this regard:
>
> Katha 2.2.8:

If you are familiar with Holenarsipur Swami and followers they will
give much respect to Gaudapada Karika and Brahma Sutra Bhashya only.
Other Bhashya is not important. Can you give proof for Nana Jeeva Vada
in these sources?

Gaudapada and Adi Sankara both were Pure Eka Jeeva Vadis. We have to
understand this.

-Venkatesh