[Advaita-l] Eka jiva vada and nanajiva vada.

Venkatesh Murthy vmurthy36 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 20 07:08:13 CDT 2013

Namaste
On Wed, Mar 20, 2013 at 4:49 PM, Bhaskar YR <bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com> wrote:
> Can you give proof for Nana Jeeva Vada in these sources?
>
>>  From the upAdhi bedha drushti shankara accepts nAnA jeeva vAda.  This
> has been explained earlier.  The bhAshyakAra accepted both the views (i.e.
> eka & nAnA jeeva vAda) from different stand points.  And we would get
> reference from the bhAshya for both the view points. As said earlier when
> samashti antaHkaraNa upAdhi taken the self is called as mahAn Atma or
> hiraNyagarbha or prathamaja (the first born) But when the word 'bhOkta' is
> mentioned it denotes an individual soul (jeeva) with a separate set of
> upAdhi.  In the sUtra bhAshya (perhaps in the 3rd adhyAya) shankara
> clarifies and justifies the implication of the plurality of jeeva-s as
> this plurality is due to different upAdhi-s.

If you say Upadhi Bheda is causing Nana Jeeva and Hiranyagarbha it is
very weak argument. Because in Advaita Upadhi itself is not real. If
you neglect the Upadhi only the deamer is there. Nobody is outside the
dreamer. He is Alone he is dreaming and in his dream he is creating
Hiranyagarbha and other Jeevas and the Universe. The Hiranyagarbha and
other Jeevas are not real.

The Bhokta is not real also. The Bhoga is not real. The Bhoga Vastu is
not real. The dreamer is thinking he is Bhokta enjoying all things in
life but he is enjoying the dream objects only. The dreamer is
thinking he can enjoy with his body and mind. But his body and mind
are not real.

-Venkatesh