[Advaita-l] Eka jiva vada and nanajiva vada.

Venkatesh Murthy vmurthy36 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 21 00:24:11 CDT 2013

Namaste

It is easy to say everything is my dream. But it is difficult to practice.

The Eka Jeeva Vada is coming to us from Vedanta only. Adi Sankara has
laid down four qualifications for study of Vedanta. They are Sadhana
Chatushtaya.

They are Viveka, Vairagya, Shatsampat, and Mumukshatva. They are
explained in many Internet sites.

The same four qualifications are a must for Eka Jeeva Vada also. It is
same as highest Vedanta teaching in Vyavahara plane.

In Paramartha Plane the Ajati Vada is highest. Nothing is born  there
is no liberation no Mumukshu no dream no dreamer. But it is too
difficult to practice.

It is not correct if a person practice Eka Jeeva Vada thinking
everything is my dream without the qualifications.

On Thu, Mar 21, 2013 at 10:00 AM, S Srivastava <sksrivastava68 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Nobody can forcibly think anything. It is a gentle reminder required.
>>
>> Example - When someone scolded me I became upset. Now I can remind
>> myself. That person is only in my dream. He is not outside me but
>> inside. I have created him. Then I become peaceful. After much
>> practice like this it becomes natural.
>>

> Sir: If I think the other person as my dream creation, why do I care for
> the upsetting of "me" which is another dream character?
>
> The gentle reminder technique that you describe above splits the experience
> in two different orders of reality. One is "me" whose getting upset is
> somehow more real and therefore requires a gentle reminder to alleviate
> "my" suffering. The other is the non-me jIva who can be thought of as a
> dream character. In our experience there is no such division. If both of
> them are of the same order of reality why would I need to alleviate my
> suffering through a gentle reminder?
>
> Please think over that.
>
> praNAm

-Venkatesh