[Advaita-l] Sixteen kala's of the Jiva

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Mon Mar 25 13:02:33 CDT 2013

On Sun, Mar 24, 2013 at 7:09 PM, Sri Raghavan <sri.raghavan at gmail.com>wrote:

>   But Upanishad brahmendra in his bhasyam of the
> KalisantaraNopaniShad has given this line -
>
> pRANAdinAmantaShODashakalAbhiH AvRutasya jIvasya etatShoDashakaM nAma
> jIvAvaraNavinAshakaM bhavati |
>

> This means it has to contain prANA and ends with NamA.
>
> While different permutations and combinations can be arrived at, I am
> looking for some pramAnA for those *16 kalas which starts with  prANA and
> ends with nAmA.
> *

Thanks for your response.  Yes, the indication given by you above is
correct.  I shall give below the 16 kalA-s as per the same Prashnopanishat
6.4:

*स प्राणमसृजत प्राणाच्छ्रद्धां खं वायुर्ज्योतिरापः पृथिवीन्द्रियं मनः ।*
*अन्नमन्नाद्वीर्यं तपो मन्त्राः कर्म लोका लोकेषु च नाम च ॥ ४ ॥*
*
*4     He created prana (1); from prana faith (shraddhA (2) , space, air,
fire, water, earth, (five elements: 5+2=7) the organs (all sense/motor
organs 10 put together 1 (8), mind (9), food (annam 10); from food
virility (vIryam
11), austerity (tapas 12), the Vedic hymns (mantra 13), sacrifice (karma 14),
the (worlds 15); and in the worlds He created names (nAma 16).

Kindly go through the bhAShyam of Shankaracharya for the above for a
detailed explanation.

Thanks again,

subrahmanian.v