[Advaita-l] Meet on Advaita Vedanta in Bangalore - May 7 to 8. 2013

Bhaskar YR bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com
Fri May 10 01:20:32 CDT 2013

<<Are there any other instances where BSB is treated as gauNa and is made
subservient to the Upanishad bhAshyas? Especially w.r.t. key issues like
avidyA in sushupti/samAdhi abhyAsa etc?>>

Note that the above is the view of SSS and his disciples, not the
mainstream view in the tradition.

praNAms
Hare Krishna

Do we really want to separate Sri SSS's views from traditionalists on
sushupti, when shankara himself talks a lot on sushupti in sUtra bhAshya
itself??  I donot know who said exactly what from SSS camp (!! ??) when
they argued that  sUtra bhAshya to be treated as gaUNa and bruhadAraNyaka
bhAshya is mUkhya.  We can get plenty of quotes from sUtra bhAshya itself
to strengthen the case that there is no mUlAvidyA or kAraNa rUpa avidya
(which is not abhAva rUpa) in sushupti since the jeeva here in this state
attains / merges in that secondless tattva.  For example in sUtra bhAshya
3.2.7 (before 3.2.9) in sUtra bhAshya  shankara clearly says
'swamapeetObhavati' shankara clarifies here, swa means Atma,
apeethobhavati means he attains his own self.  If there really exists
something 'anishta' called mUlAvidyA can jeeva attains this mergence??
Further in that same sUtra shankara says satha soumya thada sampanno
bhavati (at the time of sushupti the individual jeeva merged in brahman),
and in 2.3.18 sUtra and in bri.up. 4.3.23 too shankara clarifies
yadwaithannapasyanthi pasyanvai thannapasyanthi, not knowing anything in
sushupti is because of 'ekatvaM'.   I can still quote plenty of references
like this from sUtra bhAshya itself, so sUtra bhAshya too like
bruhadAraNyaka clearly says there is no avidyA (in bhAva rUpa which is NOT
jnAnAbhAva) as such !!

Having said all these, Sri Shankara & Sri SSS donot anyway declare that '
go to sushupti and get mOksha' :-))

Anyway, I donot want to continue this discussion because all these issues
are already done and dusted in this list itself earlier under the hostile
atmosphere...I donot want to be the part of that scene again.

Hari Hari Hari Bol!!!
bhaskar

PS :  Thanks Sri subbu prabhuji for your nice summary.  I really regret
that I missed it.