[Advaita-l] Meet on Advaita Vedanta in Bangalore - May 7 to 8. 2013

Venkatesh Murthy vmurthy36 at gmail.com
Fri May 10 11:50:59 CDT 2013

Namaste

Sankara Vedanta Mimansa Bhashyam by Holenarsipur Swamiji SSS Page 20 and 21
has analysed the Panchapadika Teeka of  the Mithyajnana Nimitta in Sankara
Adhyasa Bhashya -

Atra Shruta Hanih Ashruta Kalpana Ca Kriyate Teekakarena Iti Sphutam -
The Teekakara Padmapada is doing Shruta Hani because he is disregarding the
Bhashya and he is also doing Ashruta Kalpana. He is imagining different
things not present in the Bhashya.

Panchapadika -

'The compound word 'Mithyajnana' has to be resolved into Mithya Ca
Tadajnanam Ca' False Ignorance. Here Mithya means Undefinable. and Ajnana
means the inert potency of Avidya, in contrast to  consciousness. And the
word Nimittaha means having that potency as its material cause.

Now this interpretation is vitiated by the following defects -

In the first place it ignores what is expressly stated in the Bhashya and
inserts something never referred to in the Bhashya. For the Bhashya says
that all human procedure is due to misconception, but the author of the
Tika disregards this express statement and makes the original mean that the
unreal appearance of egoity etc in the Atman is the effect of the material
cause - a hypothetical potency of Avidya- which inheres in the essential
nature of Atman and that this cause has to be assumed to be attached to
Atman for the simple reason that otherwise we cannot account for the
appearance of false phenomena. In the second place while the objection is
that the mutual superimposition of the Self and the not Self is against all
reason, the reply brings in something irrelevant to the context, for it
says that we have all to assume that there is a hypothetical Avidya potency
clinging to internal and external things.'

-Venkatesh