[Advaita-l] From the 'ShankaravijayaH'......

Venkata sriram P venkatasriramp at yahoo.in
Fri May 17 05:05:23 CDT 2013

//
bhashya on the Nrsimha-Uttara-Tapaniya was written by
Shankara Bhagavadpada. Do you think this is possible?
//

Sri Vidyaranya is said to have wrote a book called "upanishad deepika"
which consists of commentary on aitreya upanishad and Nrisimha-uttara-tapineeya
upanishad.  This was published by Ananda Ashram, Pune.

BTW, i don't think Gaudapada might have touched the upanishads related to Nrisimha etc.
If we go by His style of writings, He neither compromised nor stooped to our vyavahAra levels.  His authentic work seems to be commentary on mAND.upa.  However, there are
certain works on srividya too that are ascribed to Gaudapada. But i don't know how far it is
true.

AFIK, this narasimha upAsana occupy special place in Sringeri Peeta and all the acharyas worship Narasimha anustup mantra and narasimha salagrama.  When
Sankara was in trouble, it was Narasimha avEsha in Padmapada who saved from Kapalika.   In Sringeri Amnaya Peeta, it is the nArasimha sUkSma rUpa that guards
the Acharyas.

regs,
sriram