[Advaita-l] Do not bring Sankhya into Suddha Sankara Advaita

Venkatesh Murthy vmurthy36 at gmail.com
Sun May 19 00:25:15 CDT 2013

Namaste

Page 16 'THE SCIENTIFIC APPROACH OF SHANKARA VEDANTA' By D.B. Gangolli -

'Maya is Subjective Avidya's Projection'
Sutra Bhashya 2 -1 - 14 Avidyaakalpite Naama Roope Tattvaanyatvaabhyaam
Anirvacaneeye Samsaaraprapanceebhoote Sarvajnasya Ishwarasya Maayaa Saktihi
Prakrutiriti Sruti Smrutyorabhilapyete
'Fictitiously imagined through Avidya as though they were identical with
the Omniscient Lord, Name and Form indefinable either as Ishwara Himself or
distinct from Him, the cause of this manifold world of mundane life are
called in the Shruti and the Smriti 'Maya', causal potentiality and
Prakriti. - Sutra Bhashya 2 - 1 - 14

'Here we find Maya described as the figment of Avidya and identified with
Prakriti, the original state of the world before creation. It is called
'Maya' (illusory appearance) because it cannot be defined either as
identical with Ishwara or Brahman or quite distinct from Brahman, the
Ultimate Reality'.

'Maya therefore according to Sri Sankara is the illusory causal seed of the
world due to Avidya (Adhyasa or mutual superimposition of Atman and
un-Atman or the Self and the not-Self, occasioned by the want of
discrimination)'.

Suddha Sankara Vedanta is saying Maayaa is imagined because of Adhyaasa.
Maayaa is the cause of the world. Adhyaasa is Avidyaa.

Sankarites coming after Adi Sankara are saying Maayaa and Avidyaa are same.
There is Moola Avidyaa with Brahman. It projects the world. It is Upaadaana
-  Material Cause of Adhyaasa. Panchapadika has said 'Tannimittaha -
Tadupadanaha Ityarthaha.It is Bhaava Roopa Ajnaana. It is a Positive
Quantity.

-Venkatesh