[Advaita-l] Locus of maayaa and avidyaa

Bhaskar YR bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com
Thu May 23 07:16:36 CDT 2013

praNAms Sri lalitalAlita prabhuji
Hare Krishna

I don't know which of vyAkhyAnakAra-s is being talked here. At least, none
from traditional-s talked like that.

>  if memory serves me right, panchapAdika vyAkhyAnakAra in vivaraNa says
there exists some anirvachaneeya and anAdi avidyA in Atma chaitanya. Since
this avidyA is dependent on anAdi chaitanyasatta this avidyA too anAdi,
since it is neither sat nor asat it is anirvachaneeya.  And I think here
in this work only it has been said that avidyA does not mean an abhAva of
the nature of not knowing (agrahaNa or jnAnAbhAva), nor it is a nature of
wrong knowledge ( mithyAjnAna or vipareeta grahaNa or anyathAgrahaNa) nor
it is samskAra rUpa..exact references I cannot give right now...But I have
read this in panchapAdika vivaraNa works.

You are saying that avidyA is not anirvachanIyA. But, that's not correct.
Every vyAkhyAnakAra supports it's anirvachanIyatvam, otherwise it would be
real.

>  I dont think shankara anywhere says avidyA is anirvachaneeya..geeta
bhAshya he counts the avidyA lakshaNa and says it will be of three types
i.e. agrahaNa, anyathAgrahaNa and saMshaya and in adhyAsa bhAshya too
shankara says avidyA/adhyAsa is naisargika lOkavyavahAra.  If it is
anirvachaneeya ( shankara actually talks about anirvachaneeyatvaM about
avidyA kalpita mAya) shankara would have addressed this in adhyAsa bhAshya
which is exclusively dedicated to deal with this particular subject
matter.

Hari Hari Hari Bol!!!
bhaskar