[Advaita-l] Vijayadashami Date 2013

Ajit Krishnan ajit.krishnan at gmail.com
Fri Oct 11 11:51:45 CDT 2013

namaste,

>  But back calculating from Oct 13th puts prathama on Friday Oct 4th

Looking at the rules behind the myriad festivals, the general principle is
that the tithi should prevail at the time of observance. Depending on one's
location in the USA (east coast vs west coast), and the time at which a
sadhaka does the navaratri sadhana, observing prathamA on the evening of
Fri Oct 4th (during the prathamA tithi) may have been a very reasonable
thing to do.

For example, a sadhaka performing navaratri sadhana on the west coast of
the US at 6pm or later, starting on Fri Oct 4th would have been accompanied
with the appropriate tithi for all 9 days.

sasneham,

    ajit