[Advaita-l] Jambudveepa in our saMkalpa

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Thu Sep 5 21:13:23 CDT 2013

On Fri, Sep 6, 2013 at 5:26 AM, D.V.N.Sarma డి.వి.ఎన్.శర్మ <
dvnsarma at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 5, 2013 at 11:22 PM, Venkata sriram P
> <venkatasriramp at yahoo.in>wrote:
>
> > Namaste,
>
> > The visions of all these dvIpAs can be achieved through astral vision
> > inside us.
> >
> > regs,
> > sriram
> >

>> The visions of all these dvIpAs can be achieved through astral vision
> inside us ONLY.​​
>    What purpose do these visions which are out of touch with reality serve?

Sir,

In the Kathopanishat bhashya, Shankaracharya says for

Mantra  2.3.1

ऊर्ध्वमूलोऽवाक्शाख एषोऽश्वत्थः सनातनः ।

तदेव शुक्रं तद्ब्रह्म तदेवामृतमुच्यते ।

तस्मिल्लोकाः श्रिताः सर्वे तदु नात्येति कश्चन । एतद्वै तत् ॥ १ ॥

ऊर्ध्वमूलः root above अवाक्शाखः branches below  एषः this is अश्वत्थः ashwattha
tree सनातनः eternal तत् एव that alone शुक्रं bright तत् that is ब्रह्म  Brahman
तत् that एव alone is  अमृतम् immortal उच्यते called तस्मिन् in that लोकाः the
worlds श्रिताः reside सर्वे all तदु that न अत्येति कश्चन none can pass
beyond एतत् this वै verily is तत् That.

1        This is that eternal *Asvattha *Tree with its root above and
branches below. That root, indeed, is called the Bright; That is Brahman
and That alone is the Immortal. In That all worlds are contained and none
can pass beyond. This, verily, is That.

//That  indeed is Brahman, being the greatest of all.  That is known by the
name amRtam, indestructible by nature, being Real.  The Real can never go
out of existence (The BhagavadgItA 2.16).  All else is unreal, false, being
not really existent.  The unreal has no existence (*ibid*).  In that
Brahman, the Absolute Reality, are existing all the various worlds that are
equated to a city in the sky, water in a mirage, which are believed to
exist owing to the lack of knowledge of the Absolute Truth.  These ‘worlds’
‘exist’ in Brahman, which is the source for their origin and dissolution.
//

Thus, whether the description of loka-s/dvIpa-s within this bhUloka or
outside, is with a view only to extoll the Source, Brahman, which is the
adhiShThAnam for the superimposition of the loka-s, including 'our'
bhUloka.  The purANic description is for the purpose of showing that all
creation has come out of Bhagavan and by contemplating so, one gets puNyam,
just like the puNyam one gets through the daily ritualistic panchAnga
paThanam/shravaNam.

regards
subrahmanian.v