[Advaita-l] 'Ishwaro'ham' and 'IshwarabhAvaH'

Rajaram Venkataramani rajaramvenk at gmail.com
Fri Sep 20 04:10:13 CDT 2013

It is not enough to have sraddha. We should actually go by pramanas. You
can trust your guru's good intentions, character and vast knowledge but
unless you know he is omniscient, how can you know he is inerrant? Even if
he is inerrant, how can you be sure that you  you understood everything he
said correctly?  If you pick up a wrong concept from your guru, it will
stay on. We, therefore, have the responsibility to correct our knowledge.
That is why we have the system of pramanas.

Though you say that I have a wrong understanding, it is a matter of fact
that not long ago traditional scholars on this forum argued that the Lord's
form is made of five elements. I quoted Madhusudana where he clearly says
that the Lord's form is apanchabautika or not made of five elements. It
shows that traditional scholars also can have misunderstanding of their
tradition and should be corrected. Let us put our emphasis on genuine
scholarship and intellectual honesty rather than creating cult.. It will do
our dharma a great deal of good .