[Advaita-l] [advaitin] Seeking clarification on Bri. Up. Mantra 1-4-2

H S Chandramouli hschandramouli at gmail.com
Sun Apr 20 01:11:56 CDT 2014

Dear Sri Kuntimaddiji,

Namaskaram. As you have mentioned, the jiva was born as Viraj due to his
accomplishments in the previous births.Fear is not just due to the absence
of other jivas, but also due to the fear of further transmigration (
further births ) since he is just born again now as Viraj. That sets him
thinking leading to attainment of knowledge which ensures no further births
for him. But as far as this janma itself is concerned wherein he is born as
Viraj, he has attained this exalted birth as the phala of his
accomplishments in previous births wherein he contemplated on himself as
Viraj and desired to be in that position in his future birth. It is
therefore not surprising that he should be born in this janma as Viraj with
enjoyment of that position as his prarabdha karmaphala. There is no way he
can avoid that even though he may attain knowledge in the meanwhile.
Enjoyment of that position entails the desire ( arathi ) for Creation also
. That is how and why he continues to discharge the functions of that
position even after attaining knowledge. Due to prarabdha karma phala. This
is the answer given by the verse 103 << apyuttannatmabodhanam
adhikaraasamaptitah I aratyadi yatha drishtam tathaiva syaat prajapateh II
>> translated as << just as  for those who have attained knowledge desire
etc continue to appear to arise since the adhikara ( prarabdha karma in my
understanding ) is not exhausted , even so is the case with Prajapathi (
Viraj in this context ) >>.

I presume that answers the issue suitably.

Regards