[Advaita-l] My question

V Subrahmanian via Advaita-l advaita-l at lists.advaita-vedanta.org
Mon Aug 4 00:12:43 CDT 2014

The term 'māyāvāda' was used by Vachaspati Mishra in the Bhāmatī which is a
commentary on Shankara's Brahma Sutra Bhāṣya.  For Shankara the opponents
were not Vedantins but the Sānkhya, Nyāya-Vaiśeṣika, Yoga, etc. which are
all dualistic and not Aupaniṣada. There were no non-advaitic Vedantic
schools prior to Shankara. All these schools hold the world to be real
absolutely, and the jivas are many and real.  Vedanta alone, based on the
Upaniṣads, holds the world to be unreal and the jiva is only Brahman
appearing so due to avidyā.  Hence the term 'māyāvāda' is another term for
Aupaniṣada siddhānta.  Brahmavāda is another term.

Even though the bhāmatī did not use the term in a pejorative sense, the
schools that later took birth claiming to be Vedantins, used the term
against Advaita pejoratively.  These schools are no different from the
other schools that are not based on the Upanisads in holding the world to
be real and admitting jīva-nānātva.

subrahmanian.v

On Mon, Aug 4, 2014 at 7:36 AM, Venkatesh Murthy via Advaita-l <