[Advaita-l] "Adharma" of a Jnani - the instances of Miracles (was Re: Is morality necessary for liberation?)

Bhaskar YR bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com
Thu Feb 6 23:07:45 CST 2014

praNAms Sri Karthik prabhuji
Hare Krishna

ALL the Jnanis in the Itihasas and Puranas have aligned themselves to
Dharma only.

>  Yes, thanks for this clarification.  The jnAni cannot indulge in
adharmic vyavahAra coz. he has the realization that even dhArmic karma-s
are within the sphere of avidyA.  shankara gives an example and clarifies
that jnAni never ever engages himself in adhArmic vyavahAra.

Firstly, Sankara's taking up another's body itself is at the height of
one's yogic powers. Can an ordinary man leave his body and take on the
body of a dead man? This is impossible for any of us - but Sankara was
able to do so. He learned the art of love and returned to his original
body. One must remember that he did this also only for the sake of Dharma
- because he had to defeat Ubhaya Bharati before he could establish the
doctrine of Advaita Vedanta.

>  I know this is off the topic.  One of my mAdhva prabhuji-s in one of
his personal exchanges with me asked me a question :  Since shankara opted
for another body to learn kAma shAstra but used his own antaHkaraNa, he
cannot  be called a celibate who observed brahmacharya in vAcha and
manasa.  Anyway, since I myself doubt these episodes for one or the other
reason and accepts the poetic exaggeration in these biographies, I told
him I donot have answer to this type of questions.

Hari Hari Hari Bol!!!
bhaskar