[Advaita-l] Krishna and Sankara (was Re: ...)

Sunil Bhattacharjya sunil_bhattacharjya at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 7 17:38:40 CST 2014

Lord Krishna was a Brahmachari. Manu Smriti says that a married person can be called a Bramachari and he said who qualifies for that. Adi Shankara was also a Brahmachari and his vrata remained unbroken.

Regards,
Sunil KB

On Friday, February 7, 2014 3:12 PM, S Jayanarayanan <sjayana at yahoo.com> wrote:

Praveen R. Bhat bhatpraveen at gmail.com wrote:

[..]

> I just couldn't help wonder two things:
>
> 1) What do Madhvas think of Krishna calling himself as a brahmachari then!

Dear Praveen,

May you live long!

Some are ever-ready to accept Krishna playing around with the Gopis as not in any way a violation of Brahmacharya, but when Sankara does something similar by traversing bodies, they feel the need to subject that incident to "in-depth analysis" :-)

Put very bluntly - Krishna violated Brahmacharya at least in Kaya and Vacha, but Sankara did not!

BTW, Sankara says in the Dig-Vijaya, "I am like Mahavishnu", implying that He is also Ishvara in human form.

[..]

> gurorarpaNamastu,
> --Praveen R. Bhat

Regards,