[Advaita-l] Fwd: Doubt in Isha Upanishad

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Sat Feb 15 04:19:33 CST 2014

On Sat, Feb 15, 2014 at 3:01 PM, Br. Pranipata Chaitanya <
pranipata at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Sent from my iPad
>
> Begin forwarded message:
>
> > From: Aravinda Rao <karavind09 at gmail.com>
> > Date: February 15, 2014 at 2:04:42 PM GMT+5:30
> > To: "Br. Pranipata Chaitanya" <pranipata at hotmail.com>,
> advaitin at yahoogroups.com
> > Subject: Re: [Advaita-l] Doubt in Isha Upanishad
> >
> > Namaskaras,
> >
> > This is with ref to the doubt of Sri Nitin.
> >
> > In the above article. I had followed what Sri Shankaracharya had
> explained in the Brihadaranyaka bhashyam.
> > The word 'AdAya' is from the root '(du)dA~n dAne', i.e. in the sense of
> giving. 'A' is the upasarga which changes the meaning into 'taking'; thus
> 'AdAnam' is taking. The form 'AdAya' is by the addition of 'lyap'  to the
> root and it means 'having taken, i.e ' gRRhItvA'. this is the literal
> meaning which the acharya first explains and then gives the figurative
> meaning as per the context - which is 'having understood, having realized'
> (the unity of Atman which is ekarasa, homogenous).

The above sense of 'understanding' for the word 'gRhItvA' is correct and
has prasiddhi, popular acceptance/usage.  For example we say: agrahaNam,
anyathAgrahaNam which mean: not understanding/wrong understanding. See this
page for several meanings of the word 'graha', one of which is 'perceiving':

http://www.spokensanskrit.de/index.php?script=HK&beginning=0+&tinput=+graaha&trans=Translate&direction=AU
<http://www.spokensanskrit.de/index.php?script=HK&beginning=0+&tinput=+graaha&trans=Translate&direction=AU>

The mAnDUkya kArikA 1.15 has this word/usage:

anyathA gRNhataH svapno  [wrong perception is called dream]

In the next verse 1.16 in the bhAShya we have:

..anyathAgrahaNalakShaNena ...to indicate wrong perception which is the
effect of the basic no-correct-understanding (tattva apratibodharUpa).

regards
subrahmanian.v