[Advaita-l] Doubt in Isha Upanishad

Nithin Sridhar sridhar.nithin at gmail.com
Sat Feb 15 06:45:38 CST 2014

Dear Pranipata Chaitanya ji

Thank you very much for detailed reply.

In your explanation you have said that primary meaning of adaaya is-
"having taken" and "having realized" is implied meaning.

So,
If, Aadaya is used in sense of "having taken", then in the sentence,
Purnasya Poornam Aadaya, Poornasya must refer to Nirguna
Brahman/Paramartika Dasha i.e. Having taken out the Jagat from Brahman,
Brahman alone remains. (This is out major English translations translate it)

if Aadaya is taken as "realized", then Poornasya must refer to Saguna
Brahman or the Jagat, i.e. Having realized the Completeness of the Jagat
(i.e. having realized that duality is an appearance due to maya and in
reality it world is non-different from Brahman), Completeness alone remains.

Hence, though ultimately we have same meaning that Brahman alone exist, if
we use different meaning for aadaya, we must understand the term poornasya
differently.

Plz clarify which must be used,

Thank you.