[Advaita-l] Body is the disease

Bhaskar YR bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com
Thu Jan 16 03:21:47 CST 2014

praNAms Sri Subbu prabhuji
Hare Krishna

This is very well said.  All the disagreement/questioning/objecting to
relating avidyA to Brahman arises from the thinking that 'Brahman is a
person' and that, a sarvajna.

>  infact, if someone categorically argues that brahman is the locus
(Ashraya) for avidyA, then there would be every chance that that brahman
who is AshrayadAta to avidyA must be a person.  This inference has a valid
base in our day to day anubhava where jeeva's (person's) ignorance is well
known.  And as you know, according to advaita, there is no vyavahAra
called vidyA and avidyA in brahman and he is nitya shuddya, mukta svarUpa.

>  And to coming back to brahman's sarvajna svabhAva, brahma does not need
any karaNa (mayOpAdhi) or to be a person to have the sarvajnatva as its
svarUpa.  shankara taking this objection and clarifies he can run without
legs, he can handle without hands etc.  apANipAdO javanO graheeta etc. is
the shruti.  And that which does not have anything other than itself which
Atma eva, eka etc. has the svabhAva of sarvajna.  so, brahman need not to
be necessarily  a person to attribute sarvajnatva.

The very idea of (Brahman) being a person is
rooted in avidyA.

>  Yes, that is the reason why shankara says Ishwara and his sarvajnatva
etc. valid only in vyavahAra.

So, the thinking that Brahman is a 'person', whether alpajna or sarvajna,
itself is incorrect.

>  thinking that brahman is paricchinna person is wrong...but brahman
which is ekaM eva adviteeyaM has the sarvajnatva as its svabhAva is not
wrong since it has base both in shruti and shankara bhAshya.  See
Itareya's very first mantra Atma vA idameka evAgra Asit 'nAnyat kiMchana
mishat'...And this Atma is shankara clarifies : Atma who is sarvajnaH,
sarvashaktiH, ashanAyAdi 'sarva saMsAra dharma varjitO, nitya shuddha
buddha mukta svabhAvaH, ajOjarOmarOmrutObhayOdvayaH...This Atman cannot be
a 'person' like mayOpAdhi vishishta or sOpAdhika kArya brahma Ishwara who
is dominant in nAma rUpa vyAkruta jagat but he is ekaM, eva, (na anyat
kiMchana mishat shruti vAkya substantiate this)who has sarvajnatva and
sarvashaktitva as its svabhAva.

That is the reason that even admitting of an omniscient Ishwara, a
'person', is a concession, only to be corrected by
dropping even this admission.

>  yes, you are right prabhuji.

Hari Hari Hari Bol!!!
bhaskar