[Advaita-l] Maya and Sunrise Example

kuntimaddi sadananda kuntimaddisada at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 25 09:11:07 CST 2014

Sujal - Sun covered by clouds is an example Shankara uses in Atmabodha. The clouds are due to sun only and they appear to cover the sun for the person who is directly underneath - even though clouds can never cover the sun yet appears to be so- similarly ignorance. The clouds that are covering the sun is seen only due to the sunlight only. Similarly the ignorance apparently covering the self is known only because of the consciousness, which is the nature of the self. To see Sun clearly all I have to do is to remove the obstructing clouds. Thus when the wind blow away the clouds, the existent sun gets revealed in all his glory. I do not have to use any other means or pamaana to see the sun since sun is self-shining. Similarly when the ignorance is removed by the knowledge, the all illuminating self is self-revealed. I do not need any other means to see the self.
This is Shankara's example.
Hari Om!
Sadananda