[Advaita-l] The man who never thinks

H S Chandramouli hschandramouli at gmail.com
Tue Jan 28 05:16:23 CST 2014

Sri Sony Krishna Swamyji wrote

<< The sure solution to this problem is to stop identifying with the
thinking
man (the assumed 'I' or ego) and remain as the Self which never thinks but
just 'is'. In other words just to 'be' and not to think. Therefore Ramana
Maharishi remarked that it is not our nature to think. To shift one's
attention from thoughts (thinking man) to the Silent awareness behind it
(our true nature or the unthinking man) we highly need God's grace.  Only
His grace could accomplish this shift of attention for us. This alone can
make our life blessed. >>

No doubt His Grace is essential to make our life blessed. But we need to
perform our part of the contract satisfactorily to enable Him confer His
Grace. Invariably this is lost sight of. To adopt <<The sure solution to
this problem is to stop identifying with the thinking
man (the assumed 'I' or ego) and remain as the Self which never thinks but
just 'is'. In other words just to 'be' and not to think.>> a certain level
of mental preparation is needed.  At this stage of our spiritual
development , The Lord himself has streessed in the BG what we need to do
as part of our side of the contract for achieving this. All the sadhanas
needed have been highlighted. Just see the dos and donts decreed by him
listed in chapter 16 and judge for yourself to what extent they have been
adopted in our day to day life.  It is only after we perform our portion of
the contract we can expect, and He indeed does bestow, His Grace. The sure
solution therefore is to follow scrupulously the dos and donts prescribed
in the shastras for one who desires to move up on the ladder of
spirituality. There is no short cut for this.

Regards