[Advaita-l] svapna karma - real phala ??

Bhaskar YR bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com
Wed Jan 29 03:40:12 CST 2014

praNAms Sri Ananda Hudli prabhuji
Hare Krishna

As Shri Subrahmanianji has posted excerpts from shAnkara bhAShya
regarding this, it is clear that pApa and puNya done in dreams does
not affect the person.
However, it is possible that something in the
dream has an effect in the *waking* state. One example here is that of
retaH skhalana mentioned by Sriramji. Certainly, some kind of
purification, japa, etc., are required to be done in the *waking*
state for what happened in the dream.

>  And if we want to be precise, we have to do japa and other prAyaschitta
karma to purify our impure waking body due to jnAna of svapna. Example,
retaH skhalana happened to waking body due to wet dreams of the dreamer.
So, prayaschitta here,  is meant for purification of the 'malina' waking
body and not for getting the wet dreams. If my waking body does not get
any malinatva despite bad dreams, I dont have to do any prAyaschitta
karma.  Am I correct in my observation prabhuji??

Perhaps, this is what Shri
Ranganatha Sharma was alluding to when he spoke of atonement for
actions in dreams. Another point is that if actions in dreams can have
effects in the waking state, it is better to find some way to avoid
dreams that have bad effects. Prevention is better than cure. This is
the line of thinking that makes people take remedial measures in the
waking state to avoid bad dreams (dus-svapna), by reciting mantras,
performing certain rituals, etc.

> as you know, before going to bed we chant rAmaskandaM hanumantaM
vainatenadi, vrukOdaraM, shayanena smaraNe ntyaM dusvapnaM tasya
nashyati..Apart from this any other shloka needs to be chanted prabhuji??
what type of ritual one has to observe / perform apart from japa to get
rid of duHsvapna phala?? pls. clarify.

Hari Hari Hari Bol!!!
bhaskar