[Advaita-l] Creation & Creator

Vidyasankar Sundaresan via Advaita-l advaita-l at lists.advaita-vedanta.org
Mon Jun 16 07:20:52 CDT 2014

I presume you are referring to the verse
प्रकृतिं पुरुषं चैव विद्ध्यनादी उभावपि ।विकारांश्च गुणांश्चैव विद्धि प्रकृतिसंभवान् ॥

You have to clarify what you mean by the word eternal, in your question. Please note that avidyA is also constantly said to be anAdi in vedAnta discourse. Obviously, this is never meant in the same sense as saying that brahman is anAdi.
What fuels creation despite self-realization by an individual human being? If you take the verse above in the entire context of the 13th chapter, the answer is obvious. It is ISvara, the जगदुत्पत्तिस्थितिप्रलयहेतुः. "When all beings have self-realization eventually" is a hypothetical situation that views self-realization(s) as multiple events of a particular experience, that happens within the arrow of time. This is actually a false construction, because self-realization is really not an experience, nor an event in time for anybody anywhere, although it appears to happen at specific instances of time to specific people. That is the whole point of all advaita vedAnta teaching.
Best regards,Vidyasankar