[Advaita-l] BhAgavatam : The objective world is illusory

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Fri Mar 7 04:39:46 CST 2014

On Fri, Mar 7, 2014 at 1:51 PM, H S Chandramouli
<hschandramouli at gmail.com>wrote:

> << which says that the objective world grasped by the senses is but a
> phantom
> creation of
> the mind, illusory:  >>
>
> The use of the word mind as the cause of the illusion in respect of
> creation I think always is confusing. Individual jiva's mind itself is an
> illusory creation from the paramarthic standpoint. So is Creation. Hence
> should not the word for cause of Creation be interpreted as Maya only
> instead of mind ?

*In YogavAsiShTha it is said that the mAyA and mind are synonyms.*

> Nodoubt subsequently in some places the word maya is also
> used. But is it not preferable to use the word maya only anytime the
> context is Creation. This could avoid a lot of confusion for the students
> of vedanta.

*The student of vedAnta is supposed to be: medhAvI puruSho vidwAn
UhApohavichakShaNaH along with the sAdhana chatushtaya: he is stated in the
vivekachudamani as the 'adhikAri AtmavidyAyAm'  *

regards
vs