[Advaita-l] 'world' is not the mental creation of tiny soul !!

Bhaskar YR bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com
Tue Mar 25 03:21:41 CDT 2014

I am really not keen on a response to this. It is only to express my views
on the observation " frustratingly evasive " .

praNAms
Hare Krishna

I am also bit surprised after reading this 'visheshaNa'  frustratingly
evasive in Sri subhAnu prabhuji's clarification.  Why at all bhagavatpAda
should be 'evasive' that too frustratingly ??  Is the question on 'avidyA'
is so frustrating for the Acharya who has exclusively & elaborately dealt
with this very subject in the preamble of sUtra bhAshya??  It is a normal
and general question that every pUrvapaxi asks when he hears from advaitin
that  jeeva is nothing but brahma and all the duality is due to 'avidyA'.
So, IMHO, shankara's clarification with regard to locus of avidyA at
places like, 4th adhyAya in sUtra bhAshya,  taitireeya bhAshya, geetA bh
Ashya etc. is not frustratingly evasive, it is categorically conclusive.

To the  arjuna's query aparaM bhavatO janma, paraM janma vivasvataH,
kathametadvijAneeyAm tvamAdau prOktavAniti??  in geeta lord says : bahUni
me vyateetAni, janmAni tava cha arjuna, 'tAnyahaM veda sarvANi' etc. who
he knows this and arjuna does not??  shankara clarifies in the bhAshya :
tAni ahaM veda jAne sarvANi na tvaM vettha jAneeshe na
dharmAdharmAdipratibaddha jnAnashaktitvAt.  ahaM punaH 'nitya shuddha
buddha mukta svabhAvatvAt anAvaraNa jnAna shaktihi....it is clear in this
bhAshya that since arjuna being a jeeva cannot remember all his pUrva
janmA-s whereas the lord who is brahma svarUpa is always (nitya) shuddha,
buddha, mukta svArUpa could remember all these things since he has the
complete control of his mAya (please note the word avidyA cannot be used
here).  It is clear here Ishwara is never ever entangled in avidyA it is
only jeeva that is endowed with avidyA.  This has been elsewhere (sUtra
bhAshya) very clearly clarified my bhAshyakAra by asserting : Ishwarasya
..nityanivruttAvidyatvAt.  The br.up. 1.4.10 should be understood in this
light of shankara's clarification.  Because before saying there is no
other chaitanya other than brahman who has avidyA shankara clarifies na
avidyA kartru bhrAntancha brahma.  So, it is again from jeeva drushti, who
is asking question about avidyA shankara says avidyA pertains to brahma
svarUpi jeeva. jeeva svarUpa is brahma but we should not forget that
brahma svarUpa is NOT jeeva, we should not use this interchangeably and
say brahma has the avidyA...ring, bangle etc. is gold only but gold is NOT
ring, bangle etc. And since jeeva is in his svarUpa is nothing but brahman
shankara says avidyA/adhyAsa is karaNa dOsha of that jeeva.  Shankara in
geeta bhAshya gives the cataract example to drive home the point that
avidyA does not pertains to the cognizer.

Anyway, all the above has been discussed comprehensively in this list
itself, I think there is no need to re-kindle these issues once again for
the fresh debate :-))

Hari Hari Hari Bol!!!
bhaskar