[Advaita-l] 'world' is not the mental creation of tiny soul !!

Bhaskar YR bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com
Fri Mar 28 03:56:07 CDT 2014

praNAms Sri Sadananda prabhuji
Hare Krishna

Being not extensively familiar with eka vs aneka jiiva vaadas -

>  just for the records sake we must note that it is vivaraNa school which
is more passionate towards eka jeeva vAda and wants to condemn nAnA jeeva
vAda in the name of tradition :-))

I must point out based on my understanding that one cannot have eka jiiva
notion without perceiving aneka jiivas in the creation that he is
transacting.

>  even if we hold that socalled eka jeeva vAda, it cannot be individual
tiny jeeva which is, now, according to some, capable of creating this
whole universe!! OTOH, shankara clearly says it is pure being (brahman)
alone that is spoken of as a jeeva owning to connection with a
conditioning adjunct (upAdhi).  In this scenario we can talk of one
particular jeeva, so long as attaching itself to one upAdhi.  but in the
case of bondage continuing to attach itself to another upAdhi the talk of
another jeeva becomes necessary.  Sutra bhAshya 3rd adhyAya has the
detailed discussion about it.  As you have rightly observed if we hold the
samashti or collective antaHkaraNa / upAdhi as the single upAdhi for Atman
then it is called eka jeeva vAda.  but please note here eka jeevatva
cannot be attributed to individual jeeva but to hiraNya garbha.  And this
paricchinna jeeva can come into picture only and only when we hold the
individual antaHkaraNa which is particular to that particular jeeva.  So,
here eka-jeeva is nothing but pure consciousness associated with samashti
upAdhi. It is also called mahAn Atma or hiraNyagarbha or prathamaja (the
first born)...katha and brahma sUtra has the source for this.   So, at any
stretch of our mundane imagination, eka-jeeva cannot be a individual tiny
jeeva and if at all we are talking about eka-jeeva it would be mahAt Atma
or hiraNya garbha only.  Moreover, linking creation to individual jeeva's
mental creation does not come into picture at all since there is no second
chaitanya apart from brahman in advaita vedAnta.

Hari Hari Hari Bol!!!
bhaskar

PS :  If at all I am permitted to say something from Sri SSS works, in his
Kannada translation of sUtra bhAshya, Sri swamiji quotes nyAyanirNaya
commentary which says shankara has refuted nAnA jeeva vAda and he
clarifies this statement is baseless and it is not supported by
bhAshyakAra.  And says, bhAshyakAra has accepted both the (eka - nAnA
jeeva vADa) from two different view points.

In any case, eka-jeeva vAda cannot be linked to individual tiny jeeva, if
at all eka-jeeva vAda reference is there in shankara bhAshya it is with
respect to hiraNyagarbha or mahAn Atman and it is not the individual tiny
jeeva.