[Advaita-l] Isavasya Upanisad 9th Mantra

H S Chandramouli via Advaita-l advaita-l at lists.advaita-vedanta.org
Thu May 22 03:46:00 CDT 2014

Namaste.

Nitya karma and Naimittika karma are compulsary for all three ashramas. But
upasanas are not compulsary.  Without performing karmas, whatever else one
performs, including upasana, they do not give fruitful phalas. That is the
reason why those who perform upasana only , to the exclusion of
nitya/naimittika karmas , are said to go to greater darkness. For upasanas
to lead to phalas greater than is obtainable from karma alone ,  they must
necessarily be performed in conjunction ( samuchhaya ) with karmas.