[Advaita-l] differences between Bhamati and Vivarana

H S Chandramouli hschandramouli at gmail.com
Sat Nov 15 23:38:56 CST 2014

Dear Sri Ravisankarji,

 I am quoting below from the link provided by you
http://ambaa.org/pdf/bhamati_vivarana_diff_mds_sns_formatted.pdf

 Bhamati says that mahaavakya which is shabda can only give paroksha
jnaana. If one hears

from somebody that there is fire on a hill, he has only indirect knowledge
and does not

know any details about the fire. For getting direct knowledge of the fire
he must see it with

his own eyes. So only an indriya can give direct knowledge. In the case of
knowledge of

Brahman, the mind with the samskaara of the repeated contemplation of the
mahaavaakya

is the instrument for direct knowledge. This is supported by the
upanishadic statement,

“manasaiva anudrashtavyam” which means that Brahman is to be known through
the

mind.

 Quite clearly it has been mentioned by Sri Mani Dravid Shastrigal that
Atman/Brahman is revealed BY the mind as an Indriya. However I did not see
this explicitly mentioned in the unformatted link provided by you
http://ambaa.org/pdf/bhamati-vivarana-diff_mds_sns.pdf I do hope the above
finds a place in the original also. I would only request Sri Anandji also
to confirm this is what he also meant.

 Regards

 Chandramouli