[Advaita-l] A query about advaita siddhanta

kuntimaddi sadananda kuntimaddisada at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 21 01:32:40 CST 2014

Animesh - PraNAms

He is translating mithyaa as illusion. mithyaa is neither sat nor asat.

1. Brahman being infinite there cannot be anything other than Brahman. If there is something other than Brahman then Brahman ceases to be Brahman.

2. If jiiva and jagat are separate from Brahman then Brahman is no more Brahman since he is limited by jiiva and jagat which are different from Brahman. If they are same as Brahman then we also have problem since we are now differentiating infinite into parts. Infinite to be infinite it has to be part less.

3. Thus we have problem since we have to keep Brahman as Brahman (infinite and part-less ) at the same time account the experiential and jagat.

4. Scripture also says Brahman is pure consciousness - prajnaanam brahma - If consciousness is infinite then we also have a problem to account the jagat which is inert.

5. To get around these problem we have to say the divisions (Jiiva, Jagat and his Parashakti) are only apparent and not absolutely real - just the dream world of plurality. Mandukya Up. presents and analyzes the waking, dream and deep sleep state and show what mithyaa means by defining the absolute truth in Mantra 7.

Hari Om!
Sadananda