[Advaita-l] Rudram Chanting in White House

Ajit Krishnan via Advaita-l advaita-l at lists.advaita-vedanta.org
Mon Oct 13 15:20:59 CDT 2014

namaste,

> I find that various qualities of their recitation
> are better than average

Though there are clear errors, I have to agree.

> although perhaps lax in terms of adherence to the
> other niyama-s expected in our tradition.

When it comes to traditional vedanta instruction, we find many who start
learning vedanta without having made meaningful progress in the sAdhana
chatuShTaya. It's a virtual certainty that many who attend regular lectures
do so without having completed their nitya karma. In many cases the hope is
that the student will start with an intellectual understanding which will
blossom into true understanding later, as one becomes more serious with the
requisite sadhana.

I don't see why the instruction of veda mantras is materially different.
Just like the gauNa vedAnta student, the gauNa veda student can only hope
for basic familiarity with veda mantras without adherence to at least some
of the yamas and niyamas.

At the end of the day, there are quite a few similarities in the state of
(gauNa) veda and (gauNa) vedAnta education. I find it odd that we tend to
be much more vocal about one.

When a sadhaka starts to make progress with a mantra, he will be able to
recognize the roles that yamas and niyamas play. At that point, experience
can be his guide. Until then, IMO, all of this (clothing etc) is just a
glorified version of "dress up". To be clear, I'm not suggesting that yamas
and niyamas don't play a role. On the other hand, I think they are quite
useful and should be followed to the extent possible.

sasneham,

    ajit