[Advaita-l] Experiences Chanting Om

Jaldhar H. Vyas via Advaita-l advaita-l at lists.advaita-vedanta.org
Sun Oct 26 02:02:10 CDT 2014

On Tue, 21 Oct 2014, Evan Ward via Advaita-l wrote:

> Good day everyone.  As a relatively new student of Advaita Vedanta, I have
> been chanting and intoning Om throughout the day.
>
> So I'm really curious:
>
> What have been your personal experiences chanting Om?

Reciting Om or other mantras is not a Vedantic practice per se but a Yogic
one though of course the two are rather intertwined.  Vedantic practice
revolves around understanding the difference between what is real and
unreal, separating oneself from the unreal, and acquiring knowledge of the
real.  The other spiritual practices are a preparation for this. (By
which I do not mean to imply that theey are not important in their own
sphere.)