[Advaita-l] Past, Present and Future

Venkatesh Murthy via Advaita-l advaita-l at lists.advaita-vedanta.org
Wed Sep 3 11:44:41 CDT 2014

Namaste Sri Chandramouli

There is no darkness of illusion once we realize the Seer is alone real but
not Seen objects. This is Drig Drishya Viveka. This is also matching with
Gaudapaada. The Seen is not there before Origination and not there after
Termination. But it is appearing in between. The Gaudapaada Conclusion is
it is not existing in between also.

What is there in between if Seen object is not there? The Seer is existing
always. In Past, Present and Future. There is no darkness because the Seer
with the brilliance of crore Suns is there. It is alone and nothing other
than Seer is there. This is the Truth.

On Wed, Sep 3, 2014 at 8:49 PM, H S Chandramouli <hschandramouli at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Sri Venkateshji and Sri Sadanandji,
>

> Pranams. I presume both of you are interpreting the Gaudapada karika << Adau
> ante ca yAn nAsti vartamAnepi tat tathA>>. I think the meaning is
> different. What I understand from it is as follows.
>

> Whatever has an origination ( nonexistent prior to  that ) and has a
> termination ( meaning nonexistent subsequently ) is really nonexistent
> during the intervening period also ( meaning when we consider it as
> existing ). This is only a provisional meaning prior to closer scrutiny.
> Nothing originates without a cause and nothing is terminated also without
> resolving into its cause. So what the karika states is that whatever
> existed prior to origination of a vastu and continues to exist subsequent
> to the  termination of the vastu is really what  “ exists “ during the
> interregnum also ( between origination and termination ) . The “existence “
> of the vastu during this interregnum is only an “ appearance “ and not
> really “ existence “. This is the advaitic stand. This is one of the
> classical definitions of the term mithya . In the understanding the
> emphasis should be on the “ Existent “ throughout and not on the “
> appearance “ during the interregnum. Instead of getting mired in the
> darkness of illusion all over the place and at all times how wonderful it
> would be to bask in the brightness of the ever existent satchitananda
> Atman/Brahman all over the place and at all times. The karika implies that
> is how we should mould our thinking.
>
> Regards
>

> On Wed, Sep 3, 2014 at 8:29 AM, Venkatesh Murthy via Advaita-l <
>
>> Namaste
>>
>> I am making this statement and want to know opinions of others. I think
>> Past is an illusion and Future is also illusion only. What happened is not
>> happening now. It is not existing now. Past is illusion. Future is not
>> existing also. It is an illusion.
>>
>> The Present we are seeing is also illusion. Why? Because we are seeing
>> something but that thing's Past and Future are false. It was not there in
>> Past and will not be there in Future. It cannot be there now also.
>>
>> Adau ante ca yAn nAsti vartamAnepi tat tathA
>>

>> --
>> Regards
>>
>> -Venkatesh
>>
>> For assistance, contact: