[Advaita-l] Misinformation about Advaita/Advaitins

Sujal Upadhyay via Advaita-l advaita-l at lists.advaita-vedanta.org
Sat Sep 20 07:48:13 CDT 2014

Namaste,

To add to above and as pointed out by Kollam ji, In VS BhAshya, while
explaining the words 1 and 2, there is a long commentary.

In page 64 of Gita Press, Sanskrit - Hindi Translation, Adi Sankara
confirms one has to worship viShNu as chidAtmA / AtmarUpa quoting
mahAbhArata karmakANDa

Sanskrit:

आत्मानं विष्णुं ध्यात्वार्चन - स्तुतिनमस्कारादि कर्तव्यम् ।
'नाविष्णुः कीर्त्तयेद् विष्णुं नाविष्णुर्विष्णुमर्चयेत् ।
नाविष्णुः संस्मरेद् विष्णुं नाविष्णुर्विष्णुमाप्नुयात् ॥

In Hindi it is translated as

' बिना विष्णुरुप हुए विष्णुका कीर्तन न करे, बिना विष्णु हुए विष्णुका पूजन न
करे, बिना विष्णु हुए विष्णुका स्मरण न करे और न बिना विष्णु हुए विष्णुको
प्राप्त हो । '

This pujA (worship), stuti (praise) and namaskArAdi (offering respect /
reverence / salutation or worship) is to be meditated upon (chintan) viShNu
[bhagavAn] as AtmarUpa. In mahAbhArata karma kANDa, it is said - without
being / becoming viShNu do not do kirtan (sing holy glories) of viShNu,
without beingbecoming viShNu do not perform pUjA (worship) viShNu, without
becoming viShNu one does not attain viShNu'

Note: Becoming means to have a bhAva that 'I ma not different from viShNu'
it is an attitude of feeling non-difference from viShNu [tatva] which is
noting but Atmatatva.

​

On Fri, Sep 19, 2014 at 6:22 PM, V Subrahmanian via Advaita-l <